Dementia & Alzheimer’s disease, Functional Medicine can help!
Amyloid plaques built up in brain are thought to be responsible for dementia and alzheimer’s disease, lets understand what are the causes of this plaque built up.
Amyloid plaque, the sticky substance that interferes with neuron transmission and destroys brain cells, is commonly considered the cause of Alzheimer’s.
Building of amyloid plaque is a protective response same as cholesterol builds around damaged vessels!
we already know its the inflammation around the vessels which attracts cholesterol on the vascular lining. similarly inflammatory changes in the brain are responsible for amyloid deposits which in turn lead to memory loss!
There can be various causes of this inflammation, some are as below:
- Mercury – dental amalgams and other sources
- Sleep issues – good sleep is needed for the brain’s to purge itself of toxins
- Indoor building materials and mold from interior dampness in homes and work spaces
- Chronic sinus issues – this opens up the potential for “nasal probiotics”
- Excess simple carbohydrate consumption – refined starches and sugars
- Chronic stress – a common denominator for many inflammatory conditions
- Aspartame – commonly used neurotoxin in diet sodas and other processed foods as a sugar substitute
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Insulin resistance – some consider dementia/Alzheimer’s diabetes 3, this is where coconut oil comes to the rescue
Lack of these nutrients needed for optimum brain and memory function, among them are:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B12
- Sex hormones – Estrogen and Progesterone for women and Testosterone for men that need to be sufficient and balanced
- Omega 3 fatty acids – sourced from pure fish oils or flaxseed oil or ground flax seeds, our processed foods are top heavy with transfat omega-6 fatty acids
- Low cholesterol – often caused by statins
Dr Kalpana Shekhawat -M.D.
Functional Medicine Specialist